Sunday, June 14, 2009

Devastating End to a Weekend

This is going to be a fairly short post. This Sunday has brought bad news on top of bad news.

The most devastating is that my husband's nephew is laying in a hospital bed in Chicago on life support as the result of a brutal beating. This young man was the ring bearer in our wedding. I don't have a lot of details right now but I know his skull was crushed. I am beyond words and tears don't seem sufficient. What I cling to is prayer and my faith.

On the heels of that news, I also received an email that the mother of one of Rick and I's friends died. We met her over Thanksgiving and shared dinner with her and the family. Death stings more when you've interacted on a a personal level with someone, no matter how brief. I ache for her son and her daughter-in-law, who've become dear friends to us. Losing a parent is hard. Rick and I lost both our fathers within 4 months of each other. This death, it beings all that pain and sorrow back to the surface.

It all just reminds me how precious time is with loved ones. Use it wisely. Heck, use it! Family is our primary ministry. And if it is not, I say with conviction and passion, it should be.

And now, I must go pray with my husband to petition God for our nephews life, it that be God's will. And if not, then peace and healing for the family. Also I will pray for justice to be rained down on the people who did this to him.

We covet your prayers during this time.

As always, be blessed...and tonight...go love your family!

2 comments:

Carolina Mama said...

Honey, we will so be praying for you and your sweet family. May the Lord comfort and bring peace to everyone of course your sweet nephew!

LeeBird3 said...

Oh Mari, I am so, so sorry to hear about your nephew and the mom of your friend! Lord, Please let Your perfect compassion rain down on these precious people. Please preserve this young man's life and bring the perpetrator's to justice and to a saving relationship with You. Comfort all of the hurting family and friends for both the boy and the mom. Give the doctors wisdom in how to treat this young man's injuries. We trust You, Lord. Oh how we wish this fallen world would fall on its knees in submission to you so no more violence would happen. Change this world, Lord, by Your infinite power! In Jesus' Name, AMEN