Sunday, December 5, 2010

December Craziness

This year I am not going crazy over shopping that's not done. Oh no. That would be too easy. I have new challenges this year.

Since I have two daughters in high school now, I get a double dose of finals and the standardized End of Course (EOC) exams. Since their school is on block scheduling, they do a whole year's worth of a subject in one semester. So my oldest has two EOC exams and then two regular finals. My youngest has 3 finals and two mid-terms because her combined History and English class is actually a year long course. Let's not mention the number of projects they've had over the last couple of weeks. I know you are wondering what this has to do with me. I'm the "scorekeeper" so to speak. You know:

"Why is the TV on when you have a project to work on?"
"Did you verify the date when that project is due,
because I could swear it's tomorrow and not Friday"
"You have a test tomorrow too??"
"No I won't log onto the main computer account, use the homework account"
 (the one that has Facebook, Twitter, Formspring and Tumblr blocked,
because really, you're supposed to be doing homework LOL)

And if my girls are up, I'm up. Blame my mother. She never left me up doing homework. She was always awake to provide moral support, sharpen pencils, type while I wrote or fix a snack for energy. I do the same for my girls. Can I just tell you, we've had a lot of late nights! Momma is tired of projects, tests and quizzes that I'm not directly involved in. I can't wait until next Thursday when the last exam is over.

Well.....actually I don't get a break then either. We're heading to Chicago to attend a family wedding. We just found out about it 2 months ago so this is a brand new wrinkle in our December schedule. My husband and I will also celebrate our 18th anniversary while we're there. Why? Because I refuse to deal with airport security on my anniversary. I'm just saying.  Then we'll head back and spend the 3 days we'll have left getting ourselves ready for Christmas.

I'm finding it harder to find a hiding place for my husband's main gift than actually shopping. He's told me he searches for it when I leave the house. Really honey?? How old are you? It helped a lot to do some of this year's shopping online (free shipping is my new BFF). But then I have to act like a stalker, waiting for the UPS guy. After all, I need to grab the box so no labels are seen. All I have to say about that is.....Really family?? Wait until Christmas!!

Did I mention that I'm a little over a month on a brand new job. I'm learning a ton but still, with all this other stuff going on, I'm a bit overwhelmed. Just a tad. Okay a couple of tads.

Anyway, how is your December coming along? All done shopping? Any wrinkles in your holiday schedule?

I have to go check on a child working on yet another project, so I'll leave you with this...

Be Blessed!!! And be a blessing!

1 comment:

Ann Perkins said...

My husband and I (and kids) relocated here from Baltimore in 2006, have been married for 18 years, have one 11 yr. old girl and one 13 yr. old boy. I also love the Lord, and have been at a new job for 8 weeks now. After reading your article on WRAL, I clicked on your blog and was amazed to see our "common ground". :) My son will be 14 next month, and it's been such a roller coaster lately...to boot, I've felt very disconnected from wit and wisdom (and common ground) regarding these teenage years. I'm touched by your "late night solidarity" with homework help, and look forward to reading your blog regularly. "Perfection" is not what draws us together as brothers and sisters, but, instead, working together through the "imperfections" ('cheers' to wit, wisdom, encouragement, Rom 8:28...and a good cry!) Thanks for your article.